Monday, December 18, 2006

Corporate Secretarial - A Sincere Note

I am reading something on the Companies Commission Of Malaysia.

And my thoughts revert back to my days in the company where I worked before. To those hateful, cocky, st*pid proud secretaries (some, not all). Private Secretaries, to be precise, NOT Corporate Secretary, of course,

Those who dreamt of hijacking my place as Corporate Services Executive, those who deliberately side-tracked my job, those who sincerely tried to bypass me.

Here's a loving note, straight from my heart. Sincerely and lovingly. With Pleasure.

Firstly, Heartiest Congratulations. Though I adopted a silent and 'berbaik-sangka' approach, never once had it escaped my attention that you people were hoping to be taken under the wings of my last boss, the lady boss, hence you wanted to fill my positions. You wanted me out, right. Heartiest Congratulations because not only she left a while after I left, she left you with nothing. And I know for a fact that some of you have been absorbed to another department. Another 'well-done' for that.

Secondly, with all my love, I hereby declare my utmost pleasure for being proven right. Syukur Alhamdulillah. I knew from the beginning that you guys won't go anywhere. You guys would continue to remain where you were, you guys were meant to be where you should be. The lady boss only used you, rightfully, may I add. And you honestly, sincerely, innocently thought she trusted you, have high plans for you and high regards of you, than myself. And you believe confidently that she would bring you to higher positions. I know for sure that you wanted me to envy you, to respect you for that matter. I knew it, it is not difficult at all to detect it only from your eyes, just at it not too difficult to read her eyes, that she uses people to get her things done, come what may.

You knew she was the reason why the short-tongue-anti-social-honest-nonetheless good-looking senior manager left the company, yet you guys still hope for the best, in search for a better future. No, darlings, I don't blame you guys, I understand that that is to be expected from you, from people in your position. I totally understand. Perfecto.

May I lovingly and sincerely say this much. You guys are Private Secretaries, not Corporate or Company Secretaries. In case you do not know and are not aware (which I suspect, is highly likely the case) these two are as different as 'langit dan bumi'. Corporate Secretary has many duties, not just preparing and keeping all the FORMS. And Corporate Secretaries do sit on the company Board.

And if, you are dreaming to be a Corporate Secretary, a Licensed Corporate Secretary, sure,there are many ways. First, you take ICSA from scratch i.e. Stage 1 UNLESS you have :

1. LLB (Hons)
2. Bachelor of Accountancy (Hons.)

If you have any of the above, you could apply for a licence, but you have to sit for a qualifying examination first. But you will get the licence should you pass, not the ICSA.

If you have any of the above, and want to obtain ICSA qualifications, you have to sit for four papers, namely Corporate Administration, Corporate Governance, Corporate Finance and Corporate Secretaryship. ALL IN ENGLISH.

If you have a Diploma In Accountancy, you still have the chance, for you only need to do eight papers out of fourteen, if I am not mistaken. Again, ALL IN ENGLISH. You may be entitled for exemptions, subject to the approval and discretion of MAICSA and to your results, of course.

And by the way MAICSA stands for Malaysian Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators. The beauty of the course lies in many ways, one of them being able to know automatically, which form is for what. Yes, honey, memorise the form number and name and its purpose. NOT repeating it like parrot, without knowing what it's for. I am telling the truth. And then there's Corporate Administration. You need to know, among others, current development on patents, trademarks, copyrights, Occupational Safety and Health, and world issues. So many. The reading materials would definitely have nothing much to do with Mingguan Wanita, Ma & Pa, Media, URTV, or any catalogue. Newspapers, yes, part of it. By newspapers I don't mean Mingguan Perdana or Bacaria.

There are tons of it, honey. But for now, I guess it's already too much homework for you. *smile* Don't wanna confuse you guys.

My Best Wishes.

No comments: